Oct 31, 2010

Triathlon Test

Despite still being somewhat under the weather I had a great weekend. Had a real fun time with my kids Trick or Treating I stayed away from the candy for the most part. I snuch a few pieces but not much.

On Sat I was able to stop in at a Nike store where I was looking for some clothing and a new hat and instead found a real nice pair of goggles for $6. Sweet deal!

Sunday I was going to do my 3rd day of C25k Speed training but since I got my new goggles I wanted to swim to which led to me deciding to try and do a whole sprint Triathlon during my workout session.

I knew my transition times would be shot on T1 so I didnt even bother and besides this was going to be my first attempt at this ever. I have done the bike and the run together and even the swim and the bike and the swim and the run but never all three consecutively back to back.

I wanted to still do this as quick as possible even though I knew I was going to have some stupid crap to deal with like getting out of the pool rinsing off changing from swim trunks to Run gear but I still hurried. I think I had about 8 total minutes of transition time of which T2 was only 1:30? Really what I was interested in was my total time and just finishing.

The Swim
My swim is still really bad but I do feel like I'm improving. The goggles were a god send. It really helped me feel more at ease in the water I didn't feel as panicked while swimming about having to breath and getting water in my eye and stroking properly. It was one less thing to worry about. I feel my stroke is pretty good but I need to work really hard on breathing properly and I need to be more aware of my kick. Make sure I'm using my whole leg not just kicking at the knee.
I did most of the 500M freestyle crawl. only 1.5 laps on my back or sidestroke. In the past Ive done half of them on my side or back. Still very hard. I feel so out of breath when I have my head down. I can hold my breath for 1:40 but when Im swimming I cant go 10 secs. Grr very frustrating.

Swim time - 19:50

The Bike
Interestingly I found that when I was doing this I realized how difficult it is to stay focused that Im racing. To constantly be pushing and not get caught up in music or something else. Made me think I need to be more cognizant during training and push harder. Nothing much new here. Since it was stationary I started out the first 6 miles very hard setting level 18/20. Made sure I stayed above the 20mph line the best I could every little bit I would get up on it and push for 30-45 sec. So I wasn't just riding it out. Near the end I did the whole last 3 minutes as hard as I could.
Wipe the bike down and hussle over to the treadmill.

Bike Time - 37:04

The Run
Bricked!! This is probably the most bricked my legs have ever felt. I had about a min and half in between Bike and treadmill. I intended to run my C25k speed training session Wk1 D3 but when I kicked up the pace to 8:30/Mile pace and I hit the .4-.5 mile mark I started getting light cramping in my calves and decided I better ease back a little so I clocked myself back to a 12 min for about 3 min than kicked it back up to 11 min/mile. I ran at that pace till I hit the 1 mile mark and then kicked it up again to just faster than 10:45/mile. I really was feeling quite good during the run better than I had anticipated. In fact as it progressed I begin to kick the speed up a little more every 5 min. As I was about to enter into the last 1K an Iwas running at about 9:45/mile. I felt great. In all the 5k and training 5k's I have run I have never felt this good. It just seemed like I could run forever no matter what speed I bumped it up to. I bumped my speed up to 9:00/mile with the last half mile. I just felt really good and decided I was going to end it with everything I got. 6 min from the end I kicked it up to 8:15/mile. I hit the 3.0 mile mark and bumped the speed again to finish at a speed faster than 8 min/mile. I know that isnt blazing for most but that is booking for me. If I could run 8 min the whole thing Id be super happy.

I was running hard at the end. Not my top end but close.

Run Time - 33:34


Total Time 1:30:31

No comments: