Oct 19, 2010

Making a dream come true...

This past weekend the family and I went out to a local marathon that was taking place and met with a friend to cheer on the runners. We were located at about the 20 mile marker of the course. This allowed for us to see a broad range of runners in different mental and physical states.

I had never watched a marathon other than to flip past it on TV. Never had I actually ben out on a course and been face to face with an athlete that had just run 20 miles. The physical differences ranged from: runners that look like they had just gotten a massage, completely relaxed and ready to go, to runners that looked like they had just been run over by one of those golf ball carts that picks up balls on the driving range. Even more amazing was the physical attributes that didn't coincide with the appearance. Super fit people who looked like they were going to die to Old fat men chugging beer that looked like they had just gotten dropped off on the course a mile back. One lady stopped running and came over and wanted me to take her picture with one of the animal mascots. She told me and the Panda that she was running this Marathon and it was her 48th state. She had run marathons in 48 states. That was cool!

The one thing that really has rang in my head like a bell over the last 3 days was the emotional toll many of these runners were experiencing. As I was walking back to the car with my wife I said, "Think of all the people we saw today that were making a dream come true." It almost made me tear up thinking about the overwhelming emotional surge that they experienced after crossing the finish. Every one of those runners I watched were truly great athletes even if they were unable to finish they were doing it and they gave it all they had.

I went home and felt so out of shape to only be running 5K's. I threw on my shoes and went out and ran 5k and shaved a full minute of my best 5K time. :)

Very cool day. It felt so good to be inspired an motivated by like minded athletes.

No comments: