Mar 11, 2011

*Updates* Bike, Knee, and Weekends free!

Wow I have been so busy I have got to put more time into blogging it keeps me focused and goal oriented and ACCOUNTABLE!


I am in love with my bike but I have not been able to ride it more than just a around a few blocks no real speed or distance at all. It had a minor pedal problem and needed a little TLC. So I took it up to Joe @ MoJo Cycle. Got the pedal issue resolved and the tune up and wheels done. Im lucky to have great Bike shop locally!

So my knee...Well it kind of sucks. I have quit running and swimming. All Im doing right now is stationary bike. Trying to do 60 min a day at >20Mph. The last few days It has felt better. Monday I went in to the Dr and got to tell my awesome story to him. 300lbs to 198... Doctor was impressed I love to do that. Such a great feeling to share my story and he was eating it up asking all kinds of details.

He thinks I tore my meniscus from the symptoms I have. I have an MRI scheduled for Tuesday at 7:15am. If its a bad tear then likely I will have surgery. Which may be the best course of action for the quickest recovery. Small tear means healing on its own.

Either way I wont know weather I can compete in Bluff Creek on May 22nd or not until after. I'm very disappointed that this has happened as it really was a major milestone in my fitness goals and completing this is kind of proof of "Look you really are different"

Bonus Lost .2 lbs today and only a few more Saturdays left to work.

2 comments:

ccollins said...

Do your thing man, if the Tri is it. I just became a fanboy of yours from MFP and I linked over to the blog.

This might be hard to hear but...I have athletic goals too. But I've decided to take less fun approach. I'm going to try to get to racing weight and once I am at that weight then start hard training. If you are 198lbs getting to 196lbs reduces a lot of joint stress getting to 170lbs drastically reduced joint stress.

If you have to prep for your race to motivate and be excited, do it. It works well for lots of folks. I'm trying to take the excitement out of it, and just pay the price of my obesity by doing the work to get to my goal weight. It is, I hope, both injury protection and a way to stay on track when things are not exciting.

Sorry about your knee. Knee surgery has became a million times better than it was even ten years ago.

RayV said...

I hope it's nothing serious. But, you should still be able to get some swimming done. Limit your kick which you should be doing anyhow for triathlon swimming. For my swim, I only use a 2-beat kick which is basically to help the body rotate, and that's about it. That way your legs are still fresh coming out of the water for the bike.