Feb 9, 2011

The past week

Well I behaved all last week and did nicely with my diet. I do feel like my losses are becoming more stagnant. I'm not sure If I'm shorting my cals or if I'm just not bringing it. I do feel like I'm not feeling soreness anymore I guess I'm not pushing myself hard enough but I should still be burning calories

So this past week I found a friend who was telling me about HIIT workouts and after doing some reading I thought I could easily implement a HIIT type workout into my running days. In fact I thought you know this will probably help with my speed.

So last night I did my first HIIT workout before my 3 mile run. I did 20 sec full speed sprints followed by 1 min of fast walking. I did that for 6 sets. As this was my first one I will probably change things up a little. Rather than walk I will being jogging slowly on the cool downs and I will do a little longer 30-45 sec. Additionally I'm going to try to do 10 sets.

So how did I feel. Well for starters I haven't dont much if any full sprints for a long time. YOu would think that my previously spry 300 lbs body would easily be able to sprint around all over the place. You would be incorrect. Ive never felt agile enough until recently and when I have tried they hurt my shins severely. Its been several months since I last tried. Last night I got right up on the balls and was leaning forward into the run really driving with my quads I could feel it burning as I pushed off. It felt great!! After the 6th set I could feel muscle soreness SO I quit at 6 I dint want to injure or over do it. I walked a couple of laps and then set off to finish burning.

I finished up with a 28 min run for 2.25 miles. I gotta say my legs weren't used to the sprinting before hand. I'm sure this is going to help me!

I did my Hundred push ups sets (I'm up to 75)when I got home.

This morning my shoulders and legs Sore Good!

2 comments:

RayV said...

Hi - Just a heads up about HIIT especially with running. To avoid running injuries, you should be building up the intensity slowly same as you would distance...the "10% rule" applies for intensity as well as distance. For example; If you do 6x20sec sprint intervals(120 secs total), 2-3 times a week, the following week you should just go up to 135(+/-) secs total, or 7x20secs, etc.. Last thing you want is to be sidelined because of an injury. For other exercises like cycling or elliptical, you can push a little more since it's non-impact.

Good luck.

MC said...

Great Info Ray thanks!