May 3, 2011

Full race loop

Full Race Loop map from Runkeeper

My last post was very quickly written and not very informative really just a mental journal entry. Also it wasn't really a legitimate course run so I rode it again 2 days ago on Sat. This time I threw my bike in the van and drove over to the start of the course. I really wanted to get the best true idea of what race day was going to be like. I had 2 bottles of hydration. 1 straight water and the other Lime Nuun. Last time I felt like I wasn't getting enough hydration so I planned on squashing that problem. I put on all my gear and checked my lights just in case I didn't get back before sunset.

I was off.

I felt pretty good and I sure do love my bike its so light and quick. I love when I really put all my power into it and it responds. After the first 4.5 miles I realize I need more hill work and make a mental note to start pushing myself harder on hills. There is a little wind but nothing like Thursday. I hit the halfway and felt pretty good. I drank water on the first half and planned on using the Nuun on the way back to help recovery. I think that worked out pretty nice. I felt good all the way back and was 3.5 miles from the finish when I got passed by a car of kids that thought it would be fun to toss out a cup with pop in it. Luckily I avoided being hit. I did a have a few choice words for them and told them so in universal sign language. Seriously! What makes you think throwing something at a cyclist is a good idea? Did your mother teach you that?

I made it the remainder of the ride without incident and even broke the 30 mph mark cool.

Very excited about it. finished in 1:06 and know I can get it under :59 . I plan to ride this at least 3 more times before Race day.

1 comment:

Amy Hamm said...

Okay - I've been a little jealous - not even reading your posts about bike riding since I've been sidelined. But then I had a change of heart and can live vicariously through you... so keep 'em coming. Note to self - watch the corners and don't take them at 30mph.

Can't wait to hear about the triathlon... FULL DETAILS