May 2, 2007

Quitting...it had to be done

Late in November 2006 shortly after Thanksgiving day I decided that before I could do anything I had to quit smoking. If I couldn't quit smoking there was no point in trying to lose weight or become physically active. Smoking would only neutralize my other attempts at being healthy and I had to quit!

I had been a pack a day smoker for probably 12-13 years. I'm 32 now so I started young and I knew I wasn't going to be able to just quit because I had tried that in the past.

I set a date. I set a firm date that I swore to not break. I told everyone. I let everyone know that I was quitting and that my Last day would be Christmas Day 2006. I picked Christmas day because I wanted it to be easily remembered and I wanted it to be a special gift to my Wife and kids.

I slowly cut my cigarette intake back a few cigarettes every few days till 5 days before Christmas I was smoking only 3-4 cigarettes per day. The hardest times for me were commuting to and from work and lunch or mid afternoon. I realized that smoking was merely a social habit for me and that I truly was going to be able to quit.

A few days before Christmas things got stressful for me and I increased my cigarette intake. Despite the setback Christmas Day I smoked 4 cigarettes and finished my last pack for the rest of my life.




Don't get me wrong I struggled with it at first but inside of a few days I was completely off of them and I haven't looked back.

Since I'v been smoke free for 5 months I decided it was time to proceed with the next step.

No comments: